Friday, September 14, 2012

Habits

My husband says I'm a creature of habit and he's right. I often do things on autopilot and so sometimes it's hard when the environment changes and I need to adapt my response. As the wise GR says, "Habits are good servants, but bad masters." While I definitely need to work on being more "in the moment" and adaptable than I am, I feel that right now, I want to focus on cultivating more good habits.

Some of my old favorite "good habits" such as keeping my wallet and keys in my purse at all times, carrying something to read for the commute, and using my cab time to connect with family simplify my life and add pleasure to my day. These are the newer habits that I'm trying to incorporate.

1. Observe the one-minute rule: I absolutely love the one minute rule (courtesy: The Happiness Project) which basically says that if you can do something in one minute...DO IT. Don't procrastinate just do it then and there. So for instance, I'd cut out the Portico bedsheets washing instructions some days back to make sure the bright sheets wouldn't bleed and the paper was just floating around. When I saw it today evening, I just snapped it with Evernote and got rid of the paper. A small action but a useful one!

2. Pack eats for the husband: My husband travels a lot and doesn't often have the time to have fixed meals during the day. So, recently, I started stashing Tiger biscuits (he's a baby, he loves 'em :)), Oreos, and some breakfast bars right in his laptop backpack so that he has some emergency supply when he needs it.

3. Plan ahead: I'm extremely possessive of my time and very irritable if it goes "waste." [To clarify, I do NOT define lazing around on the weekend as "wasting time;" that's usually  quality time or unwind time, both of which are super-critical for me!] So, I like to tackle my To-Do list as efficiently as possible so that I'm freeing myself to do things I find more fun, meaningful, interesting, and relaxing. Recently I've been trying to plan ahead to help me use my time smartly. So, we recently bought a nice bedsheet to give as a wedding gift to the hubby's cousin though the wedding is still a couple of months away; since we knew this was a to-do, we shopped for it while we were picking up our own home stuff at The Home Stop sale. The pros: we saved time and money, picked a really nice, thoughtful gift, and felt on top of things :)

So far, so good :) I'll be thinking about identifying more such habits and hopefully adopting them in my routine!

2 comments:

Neha said...

Nicely written Pri! Bulleted lists are always fun read. While i was reading this, i realized that I have never made a conscious effort to form good habits. One comes to mind though, to exercise every day. Not happening at all! But what you've listed are simpler more easy to form habits. My personal fav from here? The one minute rule! I do that. sub consciously I now realize but i think i do that :)

Keep writing!

Ritu said...

A good read! I think the planning ahead really helps you to be thoughtful :) For me, right now, planning ahead is a big thing - it would really up my quality of life if I can do it more. It doesn't come naturally although I'm getting better at it.